Match Results & Reports

Barry Cup Final

Borrisoleigh 0 – Nenagh AFC ‘B’ 1

A Matthew Fahy goal coming in the 40th minute proved the difference in this Barry Cup Final played at Thurles Greyhound Stadium last Wednesday evening where Nenagh AFC ‘B’ emerged victorious against Borrisoleigh by the narrowest of margins. Borrisoleigh as Barry Cup holders from last season and First Division League winners from this season came in to this game as warm favourites and created the opening chance after three minutes of play when Noel Kent threaded the ball through to David Walsh, however the resulting effort was blocked down and booted to safety. Nenagh’s first effort came two minutes later when Brian McGee’s well stuck free effort ricocheted off the Borrisoleigh wall.  Nenagh custodian Kevin Coonan was called in to action on eight minutes with a good stop from a Noel Kent shot. The game was being hotly contested and referee Jimmy McCarthy flashed two yellow cards midway through the half. A fine move from Borrisoleigh seven minutes before the break saw Sean Ryan send a cross field ball to Jody Harkin on the left, the in swinging delivery looked promising, however the Nenagh rearguard closed in to avert the danger. Nenagh grabbed the all important goal two minutes later when Brian McGee was clinical with an over the top ball to Matthew Fahy who kept his composure before slotting the ball to the back of the net. Borrisoleigh finished the half strongly despite this set back and were unlucky in the fourth minute of injury time when John Fogarty got on the end of a Sean Ryan delivery with the headed effort not far off the mark.

Borrisoleigh dominated affairs for long spells in the second period with half time substitute Paddy Tuohy making an immediate impact, a flowing move on the left saw the substitute pull the ball back across the goalmouth from the end line three minutes after the re-start, however the chance went a begging. Nenagh’s first chance of the second half came a minute later when Alan Kelly’s shot was blocked down as the ball broke to Gary White, however the right footed effort flew over the crossbar. Tempers flared on 52 minutes and Borrisoleigh were fortunate to be left with their full complement of players, Nenagh and Borrisoleigh received a yellow card a piece before order was restored.
Nenagh’s Brian McGee was influential throughout and combined with Alan Kelly on the hour mark, however Borrisoleigh’s keeper Gerrry Treacy read the situation well and raced off his line to quell the risk. A delicate flick from Benny Harkin in the 64th minute caused panic in the Nenagh defence, the attempted clearance was deflected out for a corner kick. Jody Harkin’s resulting delivery was headed inches over the Nenagh crossbar by Paddy Tuohy. The Cup holders were throwing everything at a Nenagh side that was becoming more unsettled as the half progressed, Borrisoleigh followed up again with a second corner kick in as many minutes, however Kevin Coonan was able to gather this time round. It was all Borrisoleigh at this stage and a Jody Harkin free kick struck the Nenagh wall with twenty minutes remaining. Benny Harkin finished on the deck on 73 minutes, however claims for a penalty went unheard as Nenagh closed in to boot the ball to safety. Borrisoleigh will rue not getting back on par in the closing stages and a harshly awarded offside decision in the 76th minute thwarted a great scoring opportunity. Borrisoleigh kept plugging and Paddy Tuohy fired on target from an acute angle seconds later, however Kevin Coonan made a superb reflex save at the near post. Kevin Coonan was in the action again with eight minutes remaining after punching clear following a Noel Kent back header. It was proving not to be for Borrisoleigh after the woodwork came to the rescue for Nenagh a minute later when Neil Stapleton jumped highest to make contact with Jody Harkin’s corner kick and was robbed as the headed effort struck the crossbar. Borrisoleigh battled to the end in search of an equaliser and Jody Harkin weaved his way through the Nenagh defence with two minutes to go and was unlucky not to make better contact with a left legged effort as Kevin Coonan gathered on the second attempt. One final onslaught from Borrisoleigh saw Jody Harkin link up with Benny Harkin, again there was no way through for Borrisoleigh as the headed effort was held by Kevin Coonan. Nenagh breathed a sigh of relief when the final whistle sounded and Borrisoleigh will surely feel that they deserved more for their efforts, however Nenagh AFC had done the ground work in the opening half and defended gallantly in the second half to clinch the 2008 / 2009 Barry Cup Title with aplomb, NT&DL Chairman Mike Young presented the Barry Cup to Ruairi Walsh(Captain) and Conor Kirwan (Vice Captain) after the game.

Man of the Match: Brian McGee


Borrisoleigh:  Gerry Treacy, John Fogarty, David Butler, Kevin Walsh, Liam Tynan, Benny Harkin, Jody Harkin, Sean Ryan, Matthew Vahey, Noel Kent, Neil Stapleton,
Subs: Paddy Tuohy for David Walsh (45th minute),Cian O’Mahony for John Fogarty (77th minute)
Subs Not Used: Barry Walsh, Danny Ryan, Liam Tynan


Nenagh AFC ‘B’: Kevin Coonan, Conor Kirwan(Capt), Paul Whelan, Colm Hogan, Willy Quinlisk, David Fahy, Gary White, Brian McGee, Matthew Fahy, Darragh Breen, Marcin Bartkowiak

Subs: Alan Kelly for Matthew Fahy (45th minute), Michael Ryan for Darragh Breen (55th minute), James Madden for Marcin Bartkowiak (88th minute)
Subs Not Used: Philip Shanahan, Michael Duff,


Referee: Jimmy McCarthy
Assistant Referee’s: Tony Canning, Liam Kelly