Match Results & Reports

Moneygall 'A' 1 - Rearcross 'A' 1

‘One of the greatest blessings in the world is to be able to be happy even when things in life are not going the way we planned’ - Nishan Panwar

Rearcross A made an unplanned exit from the FAI Junior Cup at the 2nd round stage after coming out second best to fellow NT&DL outfit Arra Rovers in a game played under lights at Rearcross FC Grounds on Saturday evening last. The game began at a helter skelter pace with the battle between centre half Eamon Wade and fellow Seán Treacys footballer Tomas Stapleton, up front for Arra Rovers, especially catching the eye. Rearcross settled down after this with Sean Sheehy and Simon Kennedy coming close with left legged efforts in the first few minutes. With less than half hour on the clock Arra took the lead after Stephen Kennedy’s deflected shot beat Jim Caplis in the Rearcross goals. Simon Kennedy tried his best to make amends two minutes later for the home side with a number of subsequent shots, all of which struck Arra defenders who were more than willing to put their bodies on the line. Arra Rovers enjoyed a decent share of possession over the next few minutes and duly made it count in the 43rd minute when a deep Justin Conroy free kick wasn’t dealt with by the Rearcross defence, leaving Shane O’ Brien to finish to the net from close range. Knowing their first half performance wasn’t up to scratch, and with a triple substitution after taking place, Rearcross came out all guns blazing in the second half. Mark Hogan was first to try his luck in the 47th minute followed in 57th minute by Greg Kennedy’s shot which was blocked by an Arra defender. Derek O’ Toole and Greg Kennedy then came close again before Rearcross got the goal they thoroughly deserved when Robert Harrington proved his striking credentials when knocking past the visiting goalie after the ball rebounded in his direction. Robert Harrington, Mark Hogan and Diarumid Sheehy all came close again before Greg Kennedy hit the crossbar with ten minutes remaining, Matthew Ryan (L) proving unlucky with the rebound on this occasion. Simon Kennedy then drove just over the crossbar a few minutes later as Rearcross piled on the pressure. With six minutes to go and the equaliser looking imminent, Arra struck on the break with a fine 18 yard effort from midfielder Stephen Kennedy to all but kill the game. Best wishes to Arra Rovers for the remainder of the FAI Junior Cup.

Rearcross 'A': Jim Caplis, Robert Harrington, Eamon Wade, Greg Kennedy, James Gough, Sean Sheehy, Simon Kennedy, Eamonn Devitt, Diarmuid Sheehy, Kieran Devitt, Derek O’ Toole
Subs: Tommy Ryan L for James Gough (44 mins), Mark Hogan for Kieran Devitt (44 mins), Matthew Ryan (L) for Sean Sheehy (45 mins)

Arra Rovers: Darren Ahern, Paddy Flynn, Leonard Ryan, Justin Conroy, Shane O'Brien, Dermot O'Halloran, Stephen Kennedy, Stephen Flaherty, Cathal O'Brien, Tom Stapleton,
Subs: Sean Nightengale, Chris Riordan, Paddy Alonso, Brian McGrath, Liam Moylan

Report compiled by Simon Kennedy