Ann Kennedy Tournament Final 2014

Cappamore Celtic 1 - Newport AFC 6
(Photos included at end of report)

Newport AFC romped to a comfortable 6-1 victory over Cappamore Celtic in the 25th Ann Kennedy Tournament Final at Rearcross FC Grounds on Friday evening, Cappamore Celtic played gallantly on the evening and will surely rue not converting chances created in the opening half which might have put a different complexion on the final outcome, however once the Rearcross Quarries sponsored side got in front seconds in to the second half there was always going to be only one outcome. Newport made the first incision two minutes in to the game when Keith Mawdsley's looping effort clipped the top of the crossbar and then Mawdsley was in the action again two minutes later, however William Birrane raced off his line to shut out the danger, but the off side flag was up in any event. The Limerick side gained a foothold after this and were denied the opener when Andy Murphy was through on goal on the eleven minute mark, however Eoin Larkin reflexed to his right to make a fine save. Newport were living dangerous at this stage as Peter O'Brien's misguided clearance forced another block from Larkin between the posts. The best chance of the half came on 26 minutes when Cappamore's Brian Fitzgerald was unlucky not to have done better with a pin point delivery swung in from the left but the headed effort flew inches wide at the back post. Cappamore pressed again on the half hour mark, however the Newport custodian was again to the fore, Andy Murphy fired on target from an acute angle three minutes later, but Eoin Larkin read well and got down to smother. Keith Mawdsley popped up with two quick fire shots on 38 and 39 minutes respectively, however the Cappamore net-minder was equal to the efforts. Keith Mawdsley was through on goal again a minute before the break, however Michael Ryan got back to put in a telling tackle. A flare up on the stroke of half time saw both sides reduced to ten men before order was restored. The second half capitulation by the defending Tournament holders could not have been predicted, however full credit to the champions elect who were lethal in front of goal and got a tonic start when quick thinking by Brian O'Sullivan released Keith Mawdsley who dispatched clinically to the corner of the net from the edge of the box. Newport were on the ascendency after this and doubled their tally on 53 minutes when Brian O'Sullivan advanced on the left before blasting an unstoppable inside the far post. Cappamore might have pulled a goal back minutes later, however Shane O'Gorman's effort dragged wide of the upright. Keith Mawdsley was a threat throughout and blazed over from out on the right with options in the centre. Cappamore battled to get back in to the game with Andy Murphy and Shane O'Gorman coming close, however Newport killed off the game as a contest with a double hit inside the space of a minute, first up was Brian O'Sullivan who latched on to a Peter O'Sullivan pass before chipping between the posts and then O'Sullivan turned provider to Mike O'Brien who rammed home from close range with seventeen minutes to go. Newport kept pressing and stretched it to five when Eoin Larkin's long kick out broke to Player of the Tournament Brian O'Sullivan who rounded off his hat-trick with aplomb. In fairness, Cappamore didn't thrown in the towel and came close when Michael Ryan got on the end of Andy Murphy's free kick, however Eoin Larkin saved. The Limerick team were denied with ten minutes to go when Andy Murphy converted from the spot on the second attempt, however play was called back for an infringement in the arc area, and then the re-taken effort lifted over the target. Cappamore did net a consolation goal eight minutes from time when Mike Fitzgerald got in to drive home from close range, however Newport were to have the last say when Keith Mawdsley clinched the Golden Boot title with a well taken goal following good approach play. Newport were full value for their win and completed a 25 year cycle with Paddy Jones captaining Newport AFC to win the first Tournament in the current format in 1990 notwithstanding the many memorable Tournaments organized by Johnny Gleeson in the seventies and eighties. Cappamore missing some key players on the day were gracious in defeat and will bounce back as both sides will meet again in their opening Division 1A league game in the Limerick & District League. Thanks to all participating teams and match officials for making the Tournament a success, thanks also to Club members who assisted with Tournament activities and finally thanks to Rody and Ann Kennedy for sponsoring the Tournament.

Cappamore Celtic: William Birrane, Trevor McKenna, Michael Ryan, Brian O'Leary, David Duggan, Denis Fitzgerald, Shane Ryan, Shane O'Gorman, Brian Fitzgerald, Mike Fitzgerald, Andy Murphy
Subs: Shane O'Gorman for Adam Keogh, Dave Madden for William Birrane, William Ryan for David Duggan
Sub Not Used: Rory Higgins

Newport AFC: Eoin Larkin, Sean Ryan, Brian Cosgrave, Kieran O'Sullivan, Paul Ryan, Peter O'Sullivan, Kevin O'Brien, Jamie Collins, Keith Mawdsley, Brian O'Sullivan, Mike O'Brien
Subs: Aidan O'Brien for Paul Ryan)
Subs not Used: , Joe Connelly, Dave O'Brien, Ross Dunne

Referee: Tommy Lynch
Assistant Referees: TP Sullivan, Darren Mitchell

Player of the Tournament: Brian O'Sullivan
Golden Boot Winner: Keith Mawdsley

Golden Boot League Table
Tournament Results

Newport AFC- Tournament Winners 2014

Cappamore Celtic - Tournament Runners Up 2014

(L to R): TP Sullivan, Brian O'Sullivan (Newport AFC), Tommy Lynch, Denis Fitzgerald(Cappamore Celtic), Darren Mitchell

Newport AFC Captain Brian O'Sullivan receiving the Ann Kennedy Cup from Rody Kennedy

Golden Boot winner Keith Mawdsley receiving his award from Rody Kennedy

Player of the Tournament Brian O'Sullivan receiving his award from Rody Kennedy

(L to R): Denis Kennedy making a 25 year Presentation Award to Ger Kennedy with Dermot Hammesley also in attendance