Match Results & Reports

Rearcross 'A' 5 - Gurtagarry 2

Gurtagarry made the journey to the Rearcross FC Grounds in this cup encounter. Rearcross were called into defensive duty straight away when Seanie Sheehy made a great save in the 2nd minute. A few minutes later and it was Rearcross FC posing a threat, with John Ryan delivering a ball into the box from a set play. He ball broke to Liam Ryan, who shot just wide. Liam Ryan was in the thick of the action once again on the 7th minute mark when his cross took a deflection and almost caught the opposition’s net minder off guard. Gurtagarry did have one or two chances and in the 8th minute a corner was awarded to the visitors. The score was kept at nil all thanks to a save from Sheehy and a clearance off the line by John Ryan. Both teams were creating chances but none that were too clear cut. Gurtagarry had an effort sail wide on the 24th minute and Derek O Toole replied with a Rearcross FC free kick that went the wrong side of the crossbar. Minutes later a move involving two of the O Toole brothers, Declan and Derek, ended in Derek shooting just over the crossbar. Rearcross were playing very positively at this stage and had been enjoying a good spell of possession without having too many chances. Greg Kennedy struck a free kick in the 35th minute that was saved by the Gurtagarry keeper. Rearcross finally broke the dead lock in the 39th minute when Derek O Toole wrapped his foot around the ball to send a well struck free kick to the back of the net. Rearcross failed to capitalise on this lead and let their lead slip when a long ball was played out of defence to Billy Corcoran who prodded home an equalising goal. The second half continued in the same vain as the first, with chances at a premium at both ends in the opening stages. Ten minutes into the second half Gurtagarry managed to produce an effort on goal but Sheehy in the Rearcross net was equal to the challenge. Gurtagarry looked most dangerous from set plays and it was a corner that caused a spot of bother for the Rearcross Rearguard. Tommy Ryan came to the fore on this occasion and cleared well for his team. With around 20 minutes to go Rearcross seemed to click together. Rearcross went ahead when Derek O Toole and Liam Ryan combined to set up Declan O Toole, who had the strength and experience to hold off the defenders and finish to the Gurtagarry net. Minutes later Declan O Toole played the ball forward to Liam Ryan, who managed to float the ball into Michael O Gorman. O Gorman finished confidently to the net to put Rearcross further ahead. With 10 minutes to go Mark Hogan drove a free kick toward the box which was deflected into the net off a Gurtagarry leg. Michael O Gorman grabbed his second of the day when good play from Liam O Toole and Mark Hogan set up the scoring opportunity. On the 88th minute Gurtagarry scored a second goal coming from the boot of Cummins.

Rearcross 'A': Sean Sheehy, Mark Hogan, John Ryan, Eamonn wade, Tommy Ryan, Greg Kennedy, Robert Harrington, Eamonn Devitt, Declan O`Toole, Derek O`Toole, Liam Ryan Subs: Liam O`Toole, Michael O`Gorman

Report compiled by Greg Kennedy