Match Results & Reports

Rearcross 'A' 3 - 3 Arra Rovers
(Rearcross win 6-5 on penalties)

Rearcross played host to Arra Rovers in this cup encounter. Rearcross started on the front foot when Greg Kennedy had an effort that called the Arra Rovers net minder into action.Arra had the next few efforts to their credit. On 14 minutes an Arra Rovers free cleared the Rearcross FC goal and 2 minutes later Arra rovers must have thought that they had scored but for the fantastic reflexes of Sean Sheehy. On the 20th minute mark Declan O Toole nearly deceived the Arra Rovers goalie but his chipped effort was well gather in the end. Arra Rovers were next to attack and this one ended up clipping the crossbar and out for a goal kick. 2 minutes later and Arra Rovers did have the ball in the back if the Rearcross net. A dangerous Arra corner was deflected into the Rearcross net by a luckless RFC defender. Rearcross finished the half with a flurry of chances, firstly Declan O Toole hitting the butt of the post. Mark Hogan then set up Michael O Gorman whose headed effort was off target on this occasion. The half finished with a chance falling to Declan O Toole but this was blocked out for a corner.
The second half started and less than 10 minutes in and Rearcross had drawn level. Greg Kennedy found Michael O Gorman in space in front of goal, whose effort crashed to the back f the net. The match was nip and tuck for the rest of the half with chances falling to both sides. Sean Sheehy produced a good save and a few minutes later John Ryan stood tall to defend a dangerous situation. At the other end Greg Kennedy whipped in an inviting cross which was meet by the head of Mark Hogan. This effort was deflected over the bar. Liam Ryan was next up to try his luck but his effort was blocked. Davy O Toole had his effort cleared off the line in the last few minutes. Liam Ryan also had another effort denied by a combination of the Arra Rovers goalie and the frame of the goals. 1-1 and we were set for extra time. The first half of extra time was spent sparring in the middle third of the pitch with no team making any substantial progress or posing much of a threat. The second half of extra time was quite the opposite. 3 sendings off and 4 goals made this one of the busiest 10 minutes of soccer you will ever witness. Arra went ahead in the 103rd minute only for Michael O Gorman to peg one back for Reacross FC. Arra went ahead again 2 minutes from time and surely thought they were through to the next round. Last kick of the game and Rearcross FC were awarded a free kick 25 yards out. Michael O Gorman completed his hat trick by converting the free, all be it with the help of a deflection.
Rearcross went on to win 6-5 on penalties. Rearcross FC scorers were: John Ryan, Greg Kennedy, Liam Ryan, Michael O Gorman, Davy O Toole, Darragh Kennedy.

Rearcross 'A': Sean Sheehy, Mark Hogan, John Ryan, Eamonn Devitt, tommy Rayn, Declan O Toole,  Robert Harrington, Matt Ryan, Greg Kennedy, Liam Ryan, Michael O Gorman Subs: Davy O Toole, Liam O Toole, Darragh Kennedy

Report compiled by Greg Kennedy