Match Results & Reports

Holycross 'A' 1 - Rearcross 'A' 1
(Holycross win 5-4 on penalties)

Holycross played host to Rearcross in this cup encounter. It was the visitors who created the first real opportunity of the day when, after having defended a corner, the ball broke to Greg Kennedy inside the Rearcross FC half. Greg backed the blistering pace of Michael O Gorman and set a long through ball ahead of the Rearcross FC forward. O Gorman took the ball in his stride but his effort crept wide after leaving the Holycross rearguard flatfooted. Two minutes later and Rearcross did have the ball in the back of the net after good play from Darragh Kennedy left Liam Ryan with an opportunity to slot home. Play was brought back for an infringement where a Rearcross FC player was deemed to have been in an offside position. Holycross responded spritely with two efforts in quick succession. The first was an effort that went over the crossbar but the second was a bit more worrying for Rearcross FC. Sean Sheehy in the Rearcross goal ensured that the well struck effort did not pass him. Two minutes before the break Holycross looked like threatening the Rearcross FC goal one again. The attackers were well marshalled this time by Eamonn Wade and Eamonn Devitt   who used their strength and experience to force a corner.
5 minutes into the second half and Rearcross found themselves one nil down. A through ball left an unmarked Holycross player one on one with Sean Sheehy in the Reacross goal. Sheehy did well to keep out the initial effort but the ball rebounded to the feet of a Holycross player and he calmed side footed to the net. Rearcross came back strong though and minutes later Greg Kennedy had a free kick effort turned over the bar. Holycross still had a few chances in the game and in the 60th minute it took a great relieving tackle by Mark Hogan to keep the deficit at just one. Michael O Gorman at the other end was trying his hardest to convert for Rearcross FC but the conditions were not helping the Striker. After good play from Liam Ryan the ball broke kindly to O Gorman whose resulting shot rattled the crossbar. 5 minutes later it was Mark Hogans turn to turn provider when a ball from the defence saw O Gorman with the goal in his sights. This effort sailed wide of the post but Rearcross did not stop the efforts rolling in. After a few half attempts and blocked shots the next big opportunity fell to Davy O Toole. O Toole shot just over the bar with only 10 minutes to go. Holycross had an opportunity to make it 2 nil but Sheehy made the angles impossible and forced the oncoming attacker wide and the resulting effort was off target. An equaliser came as the  Rearcross FC players were throwing everything they had at Holycross. A quick give and go between Davy O Toole and Greg Kennedy opened up the Holycross defence and once the ball was laid off to Derek O Toole inside the box there was no doubt of the outcome. O Toole finished with a sweet left footed strike.
Extra Time was upon us and both teams were feeling the effects of the heavy rain and blustery conditions. Rearcross had two good opportunities in extra time.  O Gorman shot just wide and Derek O Toole had an effort blocked. Rearcross went on to lose the lottery of the Penalty Shootout 5-4. Rearcross scorers were: John Ryan, Michael O Gorman, Mark Hogan, and Greg Kennedy.

Rearcross 'A': Sean Sheehy, Tommy Ryan, Eamonn Wade, John Ryan , Mark Hogan, Darragh Kennedy, Robert Harrington, Eamonn Devitt, Greg Kennedy, Liam Ryan, Michael O Gorman. Suns: Derek O Toole, James Deegan, Davy O Toole

Report compiled by Greg Kennedy