Match Results & Reports

Rearcross 'A' 2 - Roscrea Utd 3

Newport was the venue for this First Division Shield game between Rearcross and Roscrea United with the away side claiming the plaudits on a 3-2 score line. The opening exchanges were lively and a Michael O'Gorman free kick wasn't far away while at the other end John Fitzpatrick fired in to the Rearcross goal area where Tommy Ryan Luke headed clear. John Fitzpatrick picked out Gavin Loughnane who drilled over on the ten minute mark. Roscrea had the better of it at this stage and Dave Carroll had to be alert to save from Niall O'Lone. Rearcross opening the scoring on 23 minutes when Darragh Kennedy impressed on the right before dragging back to Shane Lenihan who let fly with a delightful effort which
clipped t
he underside of the crossbar before spinning to the net. The Rea boys were unlucky not to extend their lead when Greg Kennedy's free kick fell to Eamonn Devitt who was inches wide with a left legged effort. Colm McGrath came close to equalizing with a headed effort at the back post nine minutes before break. The visitor's best chance of the half came a minute later when Tim Brosnan got on the end of a delivery from the left, however the headed effort was barely outside the upright and then Dave Carroll produced the save of the game after getting down to turn Joe Callahan's effort out for a corner kick. Mark Hogan was in the action early in the second half with a decisive tackle on John Fitzpatrick. Shane Lenihan picked out Darragh Kennedy who knocked the net, but play had been called back for offside. Rearcross doubled their tally in the 65th when Darragh Kennedy beat the offside trap this time round before finishing low under an advancing Richard Brosnan. Rearcross were in the driving seat at this stage and might have stretched it to three when Michael O'Gorman's pile driver from out on the left was on the mark, however the Roscrea custodian saved at the post. The Auburn Lounge sponsored team upped ante after this and brought it back to the minimum with thirteen minutes to play when John Fitzpatrick side stepped a free kick on the edge of the box before Gavin Loughnane rifled to the back of the net. It was all square two minutes later when John Fitzpatrick's corner kick was headed home by Aidan Malone. A hectic finish ensued as Declan O'Toole's effort was saved at the Roscrea post and then the Rearcross keeper advanced to avert the danger. Roscrea snatched the winner in the 89th minute when Gavin Loughnane got forward to shoot his second of the day to the corner of the net from just outside the box to book a semi-final berth for the visiting side.

Our thanks & acknowledgement to Newport AFC for hosting today's game.

Rearcross: Dave Carroll, Eamonn Devitt, Greg Kennedy, Tommy Ryan Luke, Mark Hogan, Robert Harrington, Darragh Kennedy, Davy O'Toole, Shane Lenihan, Kieran Devitt, Michael O'Gorman
Subs: Darren Quigley for Shane Lenihan, Declan O'Toole for Michael O'Gorman
Sub not Used: Diarmuid Sheehy

Roscrea Utd: Richard Brosnan, Pat Murphy, Eddie Simmons, Aidan Malone, Gavin Loughnane, Paul Brussells, Colm McGrath, Niall O'Lone, John Fitzpatrick. Joe Callahan, Tim Brosnan
Subs: Gavin Bateman for Colm McGrath
Sub not Used: Stephen Murphy,

Referee: Tommy Lynch