Match Results & Reports

Roscrea Utd 3 - Rearcross 'A' 2

Rearcross ‘A’ were away to fellow division 1 side Roscrea United which ended in a five goal thriller. Rearcross started the game with an unchanged side from the previous week which drew with highflying Ballymackey and nearly got off to the perfect start with Michael O Gorman coming close in the opening stages after good work from Tommy Ryan(L) to put him through. Rearcross were unlucky not to go 1 nil up near the midway mark of the first half after Greg Kennedy came close with a fine free kick from 30 yards only for the woodwork to deny the away side. Roscrea came into the game after this however and for the remainder of the half had the lion’s share of possession. At the interval the teams were both square. The second half was in total contrast with the first half with a bag load of goals. Ten minutes into the second half and Roscrea took the lead when they broke the Rearcross defence to get in for the first of the day with a well taken goal. Rearcross responded well to going 1 nil down and levelled things up ten minutes later when quick thinking by Rearcross goalkeeper Sean Sheehy sent a long ball over the top of the Roscrea defence for the oncoming Kieran Devitt to connect with a looping header which chipped the Roscrea custodian. Rearcross were getting back into the game when they were penalised for a controversial hand ball. Protests were waved away and the Roscrea spot kicker made no doubt about it. Two nil to the home side. Rearcross desperately tried for an equaliser with fifteen minutes left but got caught when pushing players forward on the counter attack and conceded a third after good play by the home side seeing the opportunity to push players forward when the chance arose. Rearcross got a late consolation goal after scrappy goalmouth scramble led to Kieran Devitt getting his second of the day. However in the end it was a tale of too little too late. Final score Roscrea United 3 Rearcross FC 2.

Rearcross ‘A’: Sean Sheehy, Greg Kennedy, Eamonn Devitt, Tommy Ryan(L), Declan O Toole, Robert Harrington, Eamonn Wade, Mark Hogan, Davy O Toole, Michael O Gorman, Darragh Kennedy
Subs Liam Ryan for Eamonn Wade (20th minute injured) Kieran Devitt for Mark Hogan (50th minute) Darren Quigley for Robbie Harrington (70th minute)

Referee: Denis Ryan

Report compiled by Kieran Devitt