Match Results & Reports

Rearcross 'A' 6 - Roscrea United 3

Premier league side of last season Roscrea United were the visitors to Rearcross for a league fixture with Rearcross on Friday night last. This was a big game for Rearcross as they needed to pick up some points to try and claw themselves away from the foot of the table. Rearcross couldn't have got off to a worst possible start however and found themselves 2 0 down after 10 minutes with the first goal being a header when the Roscrea attacker rose unmarked from a corner to head past Sean Sheehy in the Rearcross goals and the second coming from a soft penalty. It really didn't look like it was going to be Rearcross's night when 10 minutes later they missed a penalty of their own. Rearcross didn't drop their heads though and 10 minutes before the break found themselves back in the game when Greg Kennedys through ball found Kieran Devitt who did well to finish coolly with his weaker foot. The half finished this way with Rearcross facing a tough test in the second half to get something from the game but the men from the hills certainly rose to the challenge after some strong words from the management team of Diarmaid Sheehy and Derek O Toole at half time. Rearcross were back on level terms 5 minutes into the second half when after a mazy run from James Deegan saw him finish the ball expertly past the Roscrea keeper. The Rearcross players tails were up at this stage and they went ahead when more good work from James Deegan saw him send a low shot past the keeper into the corner of the net. Rearcross were dealt a sucker blow almost straight away when Roscrea were awarded another penalty which was expertly dispatched to the roof of the net leaving Sean Sheehy no chance in the Rearcross goals. The players heads didn't drop however and they were back in front with 20 minutes to go when Michael O Gormans shot from outside the box deceived the keeper and ended up in the net. Rearcross weren't going to let it slip this time however and went 5 3 ahead when James Deegan rounded off his hattrick to round off a fine game for the youngest member of the A team panel. The scoring was complete with 5 minutes to go when the ball fell to Greg Kennedy just inside the Roscrea box and he sent a thunderbolt to the roof of the Roscrea net and that was how the game finished. Credit must be given to the Rearcross players who battled hard all evening and never gave up. Next up for Rearcross is Arra Rovers at home in the league next Friday night. 

Rearcross 'A': Sean Sheehy, Declan O'Toole, Mark Hogan, Tommy Ryan Luke, Eamonn Devitt, Greg Kennedy, Darragh Kennedy, Kieran Devitt, Michael O'Gorman, James Deegan, Davy O'Toole
Subs; Robert Harrington, Diarmuid Sheehy, Darren Quigley, Liam Ryan

Roscrea United: Richard Brosnan, Kieran O'Meara, Aidan Moloney, Gavin Loughnane, Niall O'Lone, Timmy Brosnan, Stephen Murphy, John Pio Fitzpatrick, Joe Callaghan, Paul Brussells
Subs: Gavin Bateman, Sean Quelly, Clifford Cordial

Referee: David Butler

Report compiled by Eamonn Devitt