Match Results & Reports

Rearcross 'B' 2 - Streamstown 'B' 3

Rearcross 'B' and Streamstown Celtic ‘B’ clashed in this floodlit Third Division League game played in Rearcross on Friday evening with the hooped visitors claiming the win by the odd goal in five. An entertaining encounter from start to finish saw chances galore created at both ends of the pitch. Adrian Elbert came close for the visitors early on with a good effort on the left. Declan Hickey released PJ Mcloughlin on the twenty minute mark but the ball skewed outside the post. Rearcross shot stopper Jim Caplis was to the fore throughout and touched on to the bar four minutes later. The Rea boys kept the pressure on as Sean Hickey fired over with a good strike. The opener came with sixteen minutes remaining in the half when Theo English’s shot was blocked out, Thomas Kennedy was then in the action as penalty claims went unheard before the ball broke to Sean Kennedy who drilled to the back of the net from outside the eighteen yard box. PJ McLoughlin nearly doubled the tally a minute later but the ball skidded off target. The Hoops were back level in the 33rd minute when David Buckley’s low effort from directly in front of goal went all the way. Chances were still a plenty at both ends as PJ McLoughlin lofted over and then hosts had claims for penalty waved on while Jim Caplis had to be alert with a full stretch save before the ball broke to the in-rushing Streamstown striker who blazed over with three minutes remaining in the half. The reprieve was short lived however as Shane Carroll edged Streamstown ahead seconds later after prodding to the corner of the net from the edge of the six yard box.
Streamstown made the better start in the second half and Rearcross were forced to clear of the line in quick succession inside the opening minute. The Rearcross custodian saved from Shane Davis at the near post, a counter attack saw Sean Kennedy scoop left of the upright. The Roscrea side sketched their lead on 52 minutes when Adrian Elebert chipped to the net with the deftest of touches in what was a superb strike. Stalwart player Manager Thomas Kennedy showed his prowess after coming close with a good effort which dragged left of the post, Thomas Kennedy then forced the save of the game out of the visiting keeper on the hour mark with a shot that looked destined for the net, however a fine reflex save kept the scoreline intact. It was proving to be an unlucky outing for Thomas Kennedy after being thwarted with successive efforts with the latter being saved with a one turnaway at the expense of a corner kick. Rearcross reduced the deficit when Andy Ryan produced the goods on the left before dinking an inch perfect cross to PJ McLoughlin who headed to the roof of the net from close range. A gallant home side piled on the pressure to the final whistle and a John Ryan Luke free kick from distance was saved at the post. Streamstown’s appeal for a penalty were unheeded late on before a final assault by Rearcross saw John Ryan Luke pick out PJ McLoughlin who’s resultant strike flew over the bar and then Declan Hickey fired over with minute remaining, Rearcross deserved to take something from this tie but were unlucky on the night as the away side departed with all three points.

Rearcross ‘B’: Jim Caplis, Theo English, John Ryan Luke, Thomas Kennedy, Matthew Ryan Luke, Sean Hickey, Leo Ryan, Sean Kennedy, Declan Hickey, PJ McLoughlin, Tom Hickey
Sub: Andy Ryan

Streamstown Celtic 'B': Cronan Murphy, Paul Simmons, Kevin King, Mike Kiely, Mike Kraven, Colm Ryan, David Buckley, Shane Davis, Paddy Murphy, Adrian Elbert, Shane Carroll
Sub: Enda Maher, Jason Curry

Referee: Tony Canning