Match Results & Reports

Knigh United 1 - Rearcross U-14's 1
(Knigh win 2 nil on penalties)

Rearcross U-14's were on their travels to Puckane for this U-14 Plate Quarter Final and turned in a strong performance before losing out on a penalty shootout. The visitors will rue not closing out the game in normal time but bad luck also played a part with the woodwork denying Rearcross on two occasions coupled with a sterling performance from Knigh goalkeeper Paul Seymour. Rearcross made the first incision in the 6th minute after Patrick Dawson got through, however the Knigh shot-stopper came out on top from the one on one. The Slieve Felim outfit kept the pressure on and edged ahead three minutes later when Cillian Kennedy released Patrick Dawson on the right who advanced on goal before rifling inside the upright. The lead was short-lived however as the hosts levelled six minutes later when Ben West finished from close range following a move on the left. Rearcross got back on top and a Patrick Dawson free kick from out on the left lobbed on to the goal back-stander and then a second free kick from Patrick Dawson hit the woodwork again this time ricocheting against the crossbar. It was all Rearcross at this stage as Stephen Rochford fired across the face of goal when a tap in was all that was needed. It was proving to be a difficult outing for the Niall Ryan Joinery sponsored side after Cillian Kennedy crossed to Patrick Dawson who knocked the ball on to the upright from inside the six yard box with three minutes remaining in the half and then the last play saw Ben West drag wide of Cathal Kennedy's upright. The second half was less eventful as the home team came more in to the game although Paul Seymour was very much to the fore saving from Patrick Dawson at the near post minutes after the re-start. Knigh were also having their moments with Colm Lenihan, Brian Nolan, Eoin Sheldon and Sean Malone doing well in defence. Stephen Rochford was a threat in the second half with a marginal off side call denying the Rea boys, but as the game wore on it became more apparent that the outcome would be decided on penalties as Paul Seymour was not to be beaten a second time despite the best efforts of Stephen Rochford and Patrick Dawson following good support play from Paul Nolan, Cathal Ryan and Cian O'Toole. A penalty shootout best forgotten saw Rearcross fail to score from four attempts, however the Knigh goal keeper was also very much in the action saving three of the efforts and then converting Knigh's second penalty to clinch a place in the last four. Rearcross will now focus on the start of their League campaign.

Knigh United Panel:Paul Seymour, Neil Cahalane, Ciaran Hynes, Lee McCarthy, Liam Hayes, Shane Gleeson, Darren Inchea, Geru Hicz, Seanie Connolly, Ben West, Darragh Ryan, Maeve Ryan, Jack Nolan, Conor Sheehan

Rearcross U-14's Panel: Cathal Kennedy, Eoin Sheldon, Colm Lenihan, Paul Nolan(Capt), Brian Nolan, Cathal Ryan, Stephen Rochford, Cian O'Toole, Cillian Kennedy, Cian O'Toole, Patrick Dawson, Danny Poyzer, Andy Kinnane, Aidan Bryan

Referee: Jimmy McCarthy