Match Results & Reports

Knigh United 3 - Rearcross U-14's 3

Rearcross U-14's left it late against Knigh United to snatch a crucial away result in this U-14 league game played in Puckane on Tuesday evening. A tense opening period saw Rearcross come close in the 4th minute when a Dylan Ryan shot fell to Brian Nolan as the resultant effort flew inches over. The hosts counter attacked a minute later as Cathal Kennedy raced off his line to make the save. The Rearcross keeper was in the action again after holding a free kick pegged in by the Knigh right full. Rearcross were finding it difficult to stamp their authority on the game although Stephen Rochford came close with a good effort on twelve minutes. Eoin Sheldon swung in a pin-point cross from the right but the ball was cleared minutes later. The Slieve Felim side fell behind on the eighteen minute mark when Rearcross failed to clear before Darragh Ryan nipped in to knock home from close range. Knigh were on top after this and Cathal Kennedy was fast off the mark to avert the danger two minutes later. Knigh keeper Paul Seymour had a fine outing for the hosts and advanced to clear at the feet of Brian Nolan eleven minutes before the break. Rearcross got back level thanks to a fortuituous goal when good approach play by Dylan Ryan saw the ball deflected to the top corner of the net to leave it all square at the half time whistle. The visitors produced the first attack of the second half as a Cian O'Toole effort was held by the keeper inside the opening minute. The league leaders edged ahead on 43 minutes after good battling on the left saw the ball break to Stephen Rochford who made no mistake with a well struck shot. Cillian Kennedy threaded through to Brian Nolan who was unlucky to see the ball spin away in the 51st minute. The Rearcross net minder did well to gather under pressure and then caught cleanly from a free kick seconds later. Knigh United didn't throw in the towel though and brought it back level with eleven minutes to play when Niall Cahalane made no mistake when a fine strike from just inside the box. The hosts were now dictating affairs and the Rea boys breathed a sigh of relief seconds later when a low free kick effort whizzed inches outside the post. The game was in the melting pot at this stage as Paul Nolan put in a decisive tackle on 65 minutes and then Calthal Kennedy advanced off his line to thwart the danger a minute later at the expense of a corner kick. The reprieve was shot lived as John O'Meara ghosted in at the back post to drive the corner kick to the back of the net with three minutes remaining. Oran O'Connor's effort was on target but Paul Seymour was positioned to save as the clock ticked down. Full credit to a Rearcross outfit which battled gallantly to the end and were rewarded when a move down the right saw Brian Nolan taken down inside the box, Patrick Dawson stepped up to rifle the spot kick to the corner of the net to leave Rearcross with a late share of the spoils on the evening and will now face Knigh again in the return league fixture at Rearcross FC Grounds next Tuesday evening at 7:00PM.

Rearcross U-14's: Cathal Kennedy, Eoin Sheldon, Colm Lenihan, Paul Nolan, Cillian Kennedy, Cian O’Toole, Stephen Rochford, Dylan Ryan, Oran O’Connor, Patrick Dawson, Brian Nolan, Sean Malone, Danny Poyzer, Andy Kinnane, Aidan Bryan

Knigh United: Paul Seymour, Cathal Ryan, Liam Hayes, Lee McCarthy, Darragh Ryan, John O'Meara, David O'Brien, Conor Sheehan, Sean Connolly, Ben West, Shane Gleeson, Niall Cahalane, Jack Nolan

Referee: Jimmy McCarthy