Rearcross U-14's Crowned Division One League Champions
( Photo's included at end of match report)

Rearcross U-14's 3 - Knigh United 1

A memorable night at Rearcross FC Grounds saw Rearcross U-14's clinch a thrilling League title in the final league game of the campaign against fellow league contenders Knigh United on a 3-1 score line. Memories are made of occasions like this as Rearcross captain Paul Nolan surrounded by exuberant team mates hoisted the Cup in front of a large contingent of Rearcross supporters as darkness fell on the Slieve Felims in the real sense but the sun was really shining in the footballing sense in what will go down as a brilliant occasion in Club annals. Rearcross carried some injury concerns in to this league finale and the jersey number assignment as the players made their way on the pitch left onlookers wondering about the team formation. The master plan worked perfectly as Rearcross had shot in to a three nil lead inside the opening twenty two minutes but full credit to a visiting Knigh side who took the game to the champions elect for the remainder of the game. Cillian Kennedy controlled two minutes in before releasing Stephen Rochford down the left, but the Knigh defence closed in to avert the danger. United’s Paul Seymour had a fine outing throughout firstly outfield and then in goals in the second period and threatened on four minutes with a well struck free kick which was convincingly caught by an advancing Cathal Kennedy. Rearcross were starting to get on top when a move involving Cathal Ryan and Dylan Ryan saw Patrick Dawson set Stephen Rochford through but play was called back for offside. The opener came in the 5th minute when Sean Malone got a vital touch at the back, the ball was worked through the centre where Stephen Rochford made space on the edge of the eighteen yard box to curl a low effort inches inside the upright. Rearcross kept the pressure on and came close with efforts from Patrick Dawson and Oran O’Connor. The Rea boys were left off the hook when Paul Seymour broke on the right before letting fly with a dipping shot which wasn’t far over while at the other end Patrick Dawson fired on target but the effort was blocked on the line. It was two nil to the hosts in the 11th minute when Stephen Rochford showed great pace on the left flank before drilling to the corner of the net from a tight angle with fine finish. Stephen Rochford continued to press and was unlucky from a one on one situation but full credit to Ben West in the Knigh goals. Stephen Rochford tacked on goal number three after hesitancy in the Knigh rearguard allow the Rearcross top marksman through to knock the ball home with a deft lob. Paul Nolan came close with a headed effort from an Oran O’Connor corner kick ten minutes before the break. Patrick Dawson nearly opened his account on the half hour mark when the ball whizzed across the face of the goal. Knigh came more in to the game towards the end of the half but Paul Nolan was to the fore to keep the Puckane side at bay. The second half was a different affair as Knigh put it up to the Neill Ryan Joinery sponsored side, although Oran O’Connor wasn’t far away for the home side with just seconds gone and then the woodwork denied Brian Nolan on 41 minutes when the ball came off the butt of the post from a narrow angle following good play on the right. Knigh were on the ascendancy after this as John O’Meara’s effort finished in Cathal Kennedy’s side netting. The visiting side were back in the tie with 21 minutes to play when Liam Hayes advanced down the left before finishing a left footer between the posts. Shane Gleeson then came close to reducing the deficit with a well worked effort. Oran O’Connor prodded wide of the visitor’s upright with twelve minutes to play but Knigh still weren’t finished and it took a well time intervention by Cian O’Toole to deny Liam Hayes his second of the evening. Paul Seymour who had taken up the Knigh goal keeping duties produced a fine second half display and raced off his line on 69 minutes to deny Stephen Rochford with a superb save. Cathal Kennedy did well to block a free kick effort from Knigh’s Cathal Ryan. Rearcross had victory in sight as Colm Lenihan headed clear under pressure four minutes from time but there was going to be no stopping the march to victory on this occasion. Scenes of unbridled joy unfolded when the final whistle sounded, Aidan O’Brien representing the NTSFL was in attendance to present the League Cup to Rearcross captain Paul Nolan before the celebrations began on earnest. Many congratulations and well done to all Players and to Team Managers Emmet Steed and Joey Nolan on a fantastic achievement which was capped off on the night, but the foundation was laid by all involved over a long campaign both on match days and on the training pitch. Our acknowledgemnt and thanks to Supporters who turned out in large numbers to cap off a memorable occasion for the Club which was more than fitting as the Club is celebrating 50 years of soccer in Rearcross at the end of July.

Rearcross U-14's: Cathal Kennedy, Sean Malone, Cathal Ryan, Cian O’Toole, Cillian Kennedy, Paul Nolan(Capt), Stephen Rochford, Dylan Ryan, Oran Connors, Patrick Dawson, Brian Nolan, Danny Poyzer, Andy Kinnane, Aidan Bryan, Eoin Sheldon,Colm Lenihan

Knigh United: Ben West, Medbh Ryan, Liam Hayes, Cathal Ryan, Lee McCarthy, Conor Sheehan, John O'Meara, David O'Brien, Darragh Ryan, Sean Connolly, Paul Seymour(Capt), Shane Gleeson, Josh Gloster, Neil Cahalan, Darragh Tucker,

Referee: Andy Hall

Photo's Courtesy of Liam Rochford

Please click here for more photos

Rearcross U-14's
NTSFL First Division League Winners 2015 / 2016
Photo taken following Cup win over Birdhill on 23rd April '16

Back Row (L to R): Joey Nolan, Eoin Sheldon, Oran Connors, Stephen Rochford, Cathal Kennedy, Colm Lenihan,
Patrick Dawson, Andy Kinane, Emmet Steed
Front Row (L to R): Cian O'Toole, Cillian Kennedy, Brian Nolan, Paul Nolan(Capt), Cathal Ryan, Sean Malone, Aidan Bryan
Missing from Team Photo: Dylan Ryan, Danny Poyzer