Match Results & Reports

Knigh United 3 - Rearcross U-15's 4

Rearcross U-15’s faced a difficult away assignment against Knigh United on Saturday and secured all three points on a narrow 4-3 score line. The Knigh venue had not been a happy hunting ground for the Rea boys but the visiting side came through on this occasion. Rearcross made a lively start with Eoin Sheldon firing on target in the 2nd minute but the keeper saved. Patrick Dawson broke on the right and swung in the cross to Oran Connors, only for the Knigh custodian make a one handed reflex save. Andy Kinnane’s shot was on target midway through the half, however Knigh keeper Neil Cahalane was positioned to save. The away side hit the front eight minutes before the break when Oran Connor’s delivery from out near the corner flag broke to Stephen Rochford who chested the ball over the line from close range. It was two nil a minute later when Patrick Dawson’s effort from the edge of the box nestled in the corner of the net. Rearcross were flying after this and stretched it to three nil minute later when Patrick Dawson was nudged inside the box before stepping up to convert the resulting penalty.
It looked to be game, set and match five minutes in to the second half when a long clearance from Danny Poyzer fell to Stephen Rochford who rifled to the root of the net with a fine strike. The hosts had read a different script and reduced the deficit two minutes later after Shane Gleeson converted from the spot. Knigh were attacking in droves and pulled it back to 4-2 on 44 minutes when a high ball in to the danger area saw DJ McGrath knock the ball home from the edge of the six yard box. A tense finish was set up eighteen with minutes to play when Darragh Ryan jumped highest to send a well-directed header to the corner of the net. The game was in the balance in the remaining minutes with Paul Nolan and Stephen Rochford to the fore for the Slieve Felim outfit with a snow capped Keeper Hill in the distance. Rearcross netminder Cathal Kennedy broke from his line to make a vital reflex save with his boot eight minutes from time. Knigh United were reduced to ten men as Rearcross made a strong finish and came close to extended their lead but it finished 4-3 to the visitors to clinch an important three points.

Knigh United: Neil Cahalane, Ciaran Hynes, Liam Hayes, Shane Gleeson, Lee McCarthy, Davy O’Brien, Darragh Ryan, Sethu Seeea, Sean Connolly, Josh Gloster, Aidan Dillon, DJ McGrath, Jack Nolan, Conor Sheahan

Rearcross U-15's: Cathal Kennedy, Cian O’Toole, Brian Nolan, Danny Poyzer, Cillian Kennedy, Eoin Sheldon, Stephen Rochford, Paul Nolan, Andy Kinnane, Patrick Dawson, Colm Leniha

Referee: Tony Canning