Match Results & Reports

Ballymackey 2 - Rearcross U-15's 5

Rearcross U-15’s got back to winning ways with a hard earned 5-2 win over Premier Division outfit Ballymackey at the Ballinree venue on Saturday morning. The final result might be a flattering in some respects but this game was in the mix right up to the final quarter when a late flurry of goals sent the Rea boys in to the last four of the U-15 Plate competition. Danny Poyzer was in the early action for the visitors with a well time clearance in the second minute and then booted over at the other end two minutes later. Rearcross hit the front in the 5th minute when Stephen Rochford rammed to the net with a left legged effort from outside the box. Stephen Rochford was in the action again seconds later after picking out Patrick Dawson on the right who chipped just wide of the upright from far out. Eoin Sheldon was next up a minute later with a low drive which wasn’t far away. Ballymackey were starting to get a foothold and Cathal Kennedy had to be sharp to advance outside his area to make a needed body block to avert the danger. Joseph Connolly threatened again for the hosts after driving over from a Stephen Cantwell corner kick. It was all square on twenty minutes when Joseph Connolly broke on the left flank before sending a low belter to the corner of the net. It was end to end as Dylan Ryan found space on the left but the Ballymackey custodian narrowed the angle to deny the opportunity. Successive saves by Cathal Kennedy were needed in a two minute spell to keep the scoreline intact, the first coming from a free kick and then the Rearcross no 1 got down well to smother a low effort from the edge of the box. The move of the half saw Paul Nolan link up with Oran Connors who set Patrick Dawson through but the shot dragged wide of the target.
Rearcross played with a different purpose in the second half, although the Ballinree team had the first chance seconds in with a free kick just outside the area.  Paul Nolan was denied with a screamer from thirty yards which was inches over the cross bar five minutes in to the half. Stephen Rochford then lobbed a long range shot seconds later. The Slieve Felim outfit remained on the front foot and took a deserved lead after a pin point cross from Patrick Dawson picked out Oran Connors who headed superbly to the net from the edge of the six yard box on 44 minutes. The Premier Division outfit weren’t giving up without a fight and Cathal Kennedy had to stretch full length to gather the ball to break up a dangerous attack on the left. Aidan Bryan wasn’t long on the field when a clinical touch saw the ball released to Oran Connors who scored with a beautiful shot from distance with eighteen minutes to play. It was 4-1 to the Neill Ryan Joinery sponsored side when Stephen Rochford’s delivery from out on the left saw Aidan Bryan prod between the posts following a goalmouth scramble. The Ballymackey keeper denied Rea at the expense of a corner kick but the follow up play saw Patrick Dawson send a cracker inside the far upright from the tightest of angles. Ballymackey netted a consolation goal through Joseph Connolly late on to leave Rearcross comprehensive 5-2 winners at the full time whistle. Rearcross can now look forward to a semi-final fixture following a smashing performance against a gallant Ballymackey team.

Ballymackey: David Haverty, Philip Spillane, Sean Kenny, Eamonn White, Joseph Coffey, Adam Fitzpatrick, Joseph Connolly, Patrick Mounsey, Cillian Bergin, Stephen Cantwell, Conor Grace

Rearcross U-15’s: Cathal Kennedy, Cian O’Toole, Danny Poyzer, Cathal Ryan, Cillian Kennedy, Eoin Sheldon, Paul Nolan, Dylan Ryan, Patrick Dawson, Brian Nolan, Stephen Rochford, Sean Malone, Colm Lenihan, Ryan Moser, Oran Connors, Aidan Bryan, Andy Kinnane     

Referee: Ger Roche