Match Results & Reports

Rearcross 'A' 2 - Roscrea United 4

Rearcross bowed out of the Barry Cup in this Quarter Final tie played in Rearcross on Friday evening, a lively opening to the tie saw Eamonn Wade put in a fine tackle to avert the danger. The reprieve was short lived as the visitors opened their account on the ten minute mark when Josh Wynne sliced between the posts. Mark Hogan’s long range free kick effort was on the mark but Richard Brosnan in the Roscrea goals got behind the pile driver to save while at the other end Michael O’Gorman drilled over. Sean Sheehy came to the rescue for the Slieve Felim side with a superb save to deny Joe Callahan. The action continued as Darragh Kennedy’s shot deflected out for a corner kick on the twenty minute mark, James Deegan swung in the resulting delivery as Eamonn Wade was unlucky with a glancing header. Sean Sheehy was in the action again eight minutes before the break with a reflex leg save when the ball was destined for the corner of the net. James Deegan had the last chance of the half a minute later with a good effort which wasn’t far away. An action packed second half saw the first incision two minutes in when Joe Cahallan’s effort ricocheted downwards off the crossbar before bouncing back in to play. Rearcross were further in arrears after losing possession before Joe Cahallan took full advantage to double the Roscrea tally. Indeed, the visitors might have been further ahead only for Michael O’Gorman to track back to avert the danger. Sean Sheehy was in the action again with another fine reflex save. Rearcross were left with an uphill battle on 55 minutes when Gavin Loughnane opened up a three nil lead. The Rea boys rose to the challenge and pulled a goal back two minutes later with a cracking curling free kick from Michael O’Gorman and then it was back to the minimum two minutes later after Darragh Kennedy was bundled off the ball inside the box, Michael O’Gorman stepped up to rifle home from the spot. A lapse of concentration allowed the away side increase their tally to four when a free kick was floated in to Josh Wynne who headed home from close range. Rearcross came back at Roscrea as Declan O’Toole was inches off target with a fine effort, Michael O’Gorman fired over and then came agonizingly close seconds later only for the Roscrea goalkeeper to turn over with a one handed save. It was all Rearcross at this stage, James Deegan fired a low effort, but the visiting custodian reacted to turn the ball outside the post. Rearcross continued to press as Mark Hogan’s long range effort wasn’t far away, Davy O’Toole’s pile driver crashed off the crossbar, Liam Ryan also came close for Rearcross but it proved not to be for the Kennedy’s Bar sponsored side on this occasion as Roscrea progressed to the last four.

Rearcross ‘A’: Sean Sheehy, Tommy Ryan Luke, Eamon Devitt, Eamon Wade, Robert Harrington, Greg Kennedy, Mark Hogan, Declan O’Toole, Darragh Kennedy, James Deegan, Michael O’Gorman
Subs: Davy O’Toole, Liam Ryan

Roscrea United: Richard Brosnan, Joe Deveroux, Gavin Loughnane, Aidan Moloney, Clifford Cordial, Niall O’Lone, John Pio Fitzpatrick, Sam Quigley, Joe Callahan, Paul Brussells, Josh Wynne
Subs: Stephen Murphy, Timmy Brosnan, Michael Fletcher, Csaba Bozsar, Anthony Fitzpatrick

Referee: Tommy Lynch