25 November 2023 | 5:00 PM

Rearcross Youths clinch maximum points in Ballinree

Rearcross Youths were full value for this 4-nil victory over Ballymackey in Ballinree on Saturday afternoon. The opening exchanges were evenly contested as Padraig Griffin threatened for the visiting side 2 minutes in with a well struck shot from outside the box. Brian Hammersley proved his worth four minutes later after deflecting a Ballymackey free kick on to the crossbar to keep the sides scoreless. The game was end to end for most of the opening half, however the Rearcross Quarries sponsored outfit started to gain a foothold and good interplay on 34 minutes between Patrick Ryan and Aaron Quinlan released Sean Griffin who shot just wider of the far post. The Rea boys hit the front in the 42nd minute when Patrick Kennedy crossed in to the danger area where the Ballymackey keeper saved, however the ball fell to Jack Brett who let fly from the edge of the area, the ball was goal bound only for an instinctive handball to thwart the effort. The hosts were reduced to 10 men as a result before Callum Wallace stepped up to convert from the spot with aplomb. Rearcross had the edge from thereon and might have had a second with a minute to go in the half when excellent hold up play by Sean Griffin set up Jack Brett who was inches over with a fine effort.
Rearcross dictated affairs in the 2nd half as Padraig Griffin signalled intent in the 2nd minute with a fine strike from outside the box and then seconds later James Butler came close after flicking the ball on and unleashing a left footed volley. Rearcross extended their advantage on the 50-minute mark when Larry Collins slipped the ball under an advancing keeper thanks to a Sean Griffin assist. Brian Hammersley came to the rescue for Rea with some fine goalkeeping following a goalmouth skirmish. It was three nil to the visitors in the 53rd minute when James Butler took full advantage before knocking the ball between the posts. The woodwork denied Larry Collins with a free kick effort that came off the cross bar. Credit to a Ballymackey side that kept battling against the odds, but Rearcross were in the driving seat and were unlucky not to go four up when Callum Wallace’s well struck free kick thumped against the woodwork. The Slieve Felim side sealed the win with 19 minutes remaining when Patrick Kennedy’s long ball over the top found James Butler who sent a low finish to the back of the net. Nicholas Dawson who sustained a knee injury towards the end of the game is wished a speedy recovery.

Ballymackey FC: S Connolly, C Murray, D O’Brien, C Gavin, J Hogan, D Sheahan, J Kenneally, P Kennedy, D Hartnett, D Carr, C Ryan

Rearcross Youths: Brian Hammersley, Patrick Kennedy, Liam Crump, Callum Wallace, Luke Carroll, Max Carroll, Patrick Ryan, Padraig Griffin, Sean Griffin, Aaron Quinlan, Jack Brett
Sub: Nicholas Dawson, Timmy Costello, James Butler, Larry Collins (All Used)

Referee: Jim McGrath

Callum Wallace converts from the spot to give Rearcross a one nil advantage


Date Time
25 November 2023 5:00 PM