11 November 2022 | 4:01 PM

Rearcross ‘A’ leave it late before progressing to 4th round of the Munster Junior Cup

Rearcross FC overcame Thurles Town in a MJC encounter this evening in Rearcross. Rearcross FC showed sportsmanship in allowing a 10 minute delay to kick off due to an unforeseen traffic issue with the travelling opponents. Thurles Town did in fact start the brighter of the two sides and lined out in a very attacking fashion. The Town side went one nil up in the opening minutes following good pressure on the Rearcross FC backs. Rearcross FC managed to gain a foothold in the tie and had a few half chances in the first half. Thurles Town doubled their lead approaching half time when a long ball out of the backs skidded past the Rearcross FC rearguard and allowed a Thurles Town attacker to strike home. Rearcross had a number of chances which were either blocked on their route to goal or fired over. James Deegan came closest when a well worked passing move out wide saw the ball fall to James. A firm strike saw the ball veer a couple of feet wide.
Half time and two nil down Rearcross FC faced elimination from the Munster Junior Cup. Following an inspirational half time chat Rearcross FC began the second half with a fire in their belly. Rearcross FC spent the majority of the Second half camped in the attacking third of the pitch and had many half chances. Rearcross FC scored their first of the evening when good wide play saw the ball break to Michael O Gorman at the back post who made no mistake in driving both man and ball over the line with a thumping effort. As soon as Thurles got the ball out of their half they seemed to run into a brick wall consisting of Paul Nolan and Eamon Wade. This far and no further was the motto and this saw Rearcross FC gain territorial advantage throughout the second half. With the score at 2-1 Rearcross continued to pile on the pressure. Rearcross manufactured a number of chances and Brian Nolan arrived late to a long cross and drove an effort over. Rearcross FC continued to pile on the pressure and made a number of attacking substitutions. Rearcross FC scored a deserved equalizer following an attacking corner. The initial attack was repelled but Rearcross FC managed to capitalize on the loose ball. This found its way to James Deegan in an advanced wide position. James Deegan then opted to lay the ball back to Greg Kennedy who had taken up a more central position. After steadying himself with his first touch Greg Kennedy pinged the ball into the bottom corner of the Thurles Net from all of 25 yards. A strike which surprised most if not all spectators in the Rearcross FC Grounds. Rearcross FC got their third goal of the game following a long free kick which was whipped into the Thurles Town box. Michael O Gorman got onto the initial ball and headed it towards the Thurles Town goal. Despite the best efforts of the Thurles Town defenders the ball broke to Stephen Rochford who rifled the ball home from close range. The right man in the right place gave Rearcross FC the lead. Thurles Town threw everything they had at Rearcross FC but failed to make any headway against the stout defense.
Rearcross march on to the open draw. Best of Luck to Thurles Town who play an exciting brand of football and really had Rearcross FC under pressure at times today.

Rearcross 'A': Cathal Kennedy, Robert Harrington, Eamonn Wade, Greg Kennedy, Brian Nolan, Kieran Devitt, Paul Nolan, Matthew Feehan,  Phillip Deegan, James Deegan, Michael O Gorman
Subs: Nigel Ryan, Paul Carey, Stephen Rochford, James Rochford, Colm Nolan, Gary O Brien, Cillian Kennedy
Management: Eamonn Devitt, Tommy Lyons, Patrick Dawson
Thurles Town: Jim Cooney, Curtis Ryan, Dylan Grayson, Joe Hennessey, Sean O'Keefe, Wizzy Patriokak, Alan O'Brien, Sean Power, Danien Walzeek, Tommy Power, Willie Creedon
Subs: Jake McCarthy, David Shorley

Referee: Jim McGrath

Report by Greg Kennedy


Date Time Season
11 November 2022 4:01 PM 2022