3 December 2023 | 7:32 PM

Rearcross 'A' bow out of Ricky Fogarty Cup on 2-1 scoreline after extra time, 

Rearcross FC bowed out of the Ricky Fogarty Premier Division Cup following a 2-1 defeat after extra time. Rearcross FC created more chances than their neighbours Clodiagh Rangers throughout the fixture and will feel like they left this tie behind them. Rearcross were limited to strikes from outside the box in the first 25 minutes, with James Deegan and Cillian Kennedy both having efforts off target. Patrick Dawson rattled the crossbar after cutting in from the left after 30 minutes. Paul Nolan got on the end of a corner which saw the ball drop to Conor Nolan. Conor then struck the ball off the post with his effort. Patrick Dawson was involved once again when he laid the ball off to James Rochford who struck an effort marginally over the bar. Rearcross had two more efforts before the first half finished, an effort from Cillian Kennedy and another effort from James Deegan, set up by Patrick Dawson.
Rearcross took a deserved lead in the first few minutes of the second half when Stephen Rochford carried the ball into the Clodiagh Rangers box before neatly steering a bottom corner effort into the net. Patrick Dawson followed up moments later with a similar effort from the opposite flank. This effort was gathered by the Clodiagh Rangers goalie. Clodiagh Rangers got the equaliser when a loose clearance saw the ball break to an onrushing Matthew Stakelum who sent a pacey curled effort on its way and into the back of the Rearcross net. A short corner between Callum Wallace and Patrick Dawson saw an effort drift over the crossbar. James Deegan had a number of efforts on goal in the next 15 minutes. Rearcross FC were under pressure on a number of occasions. Paul Nolan defended bravely on a number of occasions and drove the Rearcross contingent out from the back. Aaron Lenihan was luckless when he reacted quickly to get a reflex touch before the ball was just wide of the mark. With the full-time score at 1-1 extra time loomed.
Shortly after the restart a long ball from the Clodiagh Rangers defence saw the ball break at the back post. This was converted by Oisin Treacy with a clinical header. Patrick Dawson landed a corner into a dangerous position for Darren Harrington to head over the bar. Cillian Kennedy came close on a number of occasions before the end. One was a front post effort, with another struck into the arms of the Clodiagh Rangers goalie. Patrick Dawson had a great effort tipped onto the crossbar in the last few minutes of the game. In the dying embers Patrick Dawson was fouled and a free kick on the edge of the box was awarded. An extremely hard result for Rearcross FC to take having the vast majority of chances throughout the game.
Best for Rearcross were Conor Nolan, Paul Nolan and Paul Carey but MOTM was Clodiagh Rangers netminder Adrian Cooke who kept Clodiagh Rangers in the tie on a half dozen occasions.

Rearcross ‘A’: Cathal Kennedy, Tommy Lyons, Stephen Rochford, Paul Nolan, Paul Carey, Conor Nolan, Colm Nolan, Patrick Dawson, James Rochford, Cillian Kennedy, James Deegan
Subs: Callum Wallace, Aaron Lenihan, Greg Kennedy, Colm Carey, Darren Harrington

Clodiagh Rangers: A Cooke, J Carew, C O’Brien, T Butler, R Doran, B Hanrahan, P Kennedy, M Stakelum, J Bergin, D Moloney, S Ferncombe,
Subs: P Clancy, D Butler, J O’Dwyer, O Treacy, P Lowry

Referee: TP Sullivan

Report by Greg Kennedy


Date Time
3 December 2023 7:32 PM