3 March 2023 | 12:10 PM

Rearcross U-13’s keep the pressure on with 3-1 league win

Rearcross U-13’s played Knigh Utd in their last league match of the season under lights in Rearcross on Friday evening. Rearcross started the brighter and were 1-0 up in the 5th minute when Stephen Ryan intercepted a Knigh Utd pass, before powering forward into midfield and played a brilliant through pass to Jonathan Dawson who made no mistake with a tidy finish past the visiting custodian Ethan Walsh. Conor Nolan then saw an effort saved by the Knigh Utd keeper in the 10th minute after good work by Patrick Carr. Darragh Reynolds made a fine save on 15 minutes as Knigh Utd made a rare advance in to the Rearcross penalty area. Rea kept pressing as Jonathan Dawson saw his strike from the edge of the box go just wide in the 19th minute. Rearcross really put the pressure on Knigh Utd and a succession of efforts on goal by Conor Nolan, Patrick Carr and Ciaran McLoughlin had the Knigh Utd keeper busy before a Jonathan Dawson free kick in the 25th minute sailed just over the bar. Rearcross doubled their lead in the 30th minute when a powerful corner kick delivery by Jonathan Dawson was knocked into the Knigh Utd goal by an unfortunate Knigh defender. Rearcross goalie Darragh Reynolds had a very quiet first half due to brilliant defending by Jack Hickey, Stephen Ryan, James Costello and Matthew Ryan, all playing their part to link up with the Rea midfield to create counter attacks to pile the pressure back on the Knigh defence.
Rearcross were fast out of the traps in the 2nd half as Conor Nolan saw a well struck effort saved brilliantly by the Knigh goalie just after the restart. Rearcross made it 3-0 in the 50th minute when good work by Jonathan Dawson played in Patrick Carr who dribbled past two Utd defenders before dispatching a right footed effort past the Knigh keeper. A brace of Rearcross corners in succession saw Patrick Carr and Andrew Hanly strike at goals with Patrick Carr’s effort hitting the post. Knigh Utd had a purple patch towards the latter end of the game and a strike on goal opened their account when a well struck effort by Jack Ryan from outside the eighteen-yard box flew to the roof of the net. Rearcross resumed control after this and finished the game the stronger with the upright denying Conor Nolan after being put through by Ciaran McLoughlin. It was then the turn of Ciaran McLoughlin who was unlucky after closing down the Knigh Utd goalie only for the effort to go just wide much to the visiting goalkeeper’s relief. The Rea boys kept the pressure on and the Knigh United post was hit for the 3rd time when a brilliantly delivered Jonathan Dawson free kick was headed towards goal by Conor Nolan only to hit the upright before being collected by Ethan Walsh in the Knigh goals. A strong showing from the home side to complete their league campaign with Conor McInerney, Jack Hickey, Matthew Ryan and man of the match James Costello making telling tackles throughout which in no small part sealed the win for Rearcross.

Rearcross U-13 Boys: Darragh Reynolds, Jack Hickey, James Costello, Stephen Ryan, Michael Collins, Patrick Carr, Ciaran McLoughlin, Ryan Quigley, Conor Nolan, Jonathan Dawson, Conor McInerney, Paudie Clifford, Cathal Hickey, Matthew Ryan, Liam O’Dwyer, Sean Guidera, Sean Ryan, Noah Brett, Andrew Hanly

Knigh United: Ethan Walsh, Jack Ryan, Tom Fogarty, Eric Cullinane, Tadgh O’Brien, Donagh Carmody, Oisin O’Mahony, Dan Connolly, Mikey Ryan, Tom Byrne, Conor Clifford, Bobby Kennedy, Eoin Hannon, Alan Rojczyk

Referee: Michael Barry


Report by Shane Reynolds


Date Time
3 March 2023 12:10 PM