28 October 2023 | 3:01 PM

Thrilling league win for Rearcross Youths

Rearcross Youths welcomed Ballymackey to Rearcross FC Grounds for this Youths league fixture played on Saturday afternoon and claimed maximum points following a thrilling encounter. The home side were fast out of the traps as James Butler brought the best out of visiting custodian Paraic Bergin on 4 minutes and then Taylor Light threatened with a close-range effort which was deflected at the expense of a corner kick, James Butler was a tad unlucky from the resultant corner as the ball flashed wide. Paraic Bergin was proving his worth and denied James Butler with a superb save with eight minutes gone. The visitors were also having their moments as Brian Hammersley was called in to action with a fine save from a one-on-one situation. Rearcross hit the front in the 16th minute when James Butler’s quick reaction in a goalmouth scramble following a corner kick, saw the ball bundled over the line. Taylor Light was luckless moments later to see the ball go just wide, however Taylor Light’s contribution proved dividends on 24 minutes when his pass split the Ballymackey defence before Patrick Ryan drilled to the top corner of the net. The Ballinree side were denied in the 28th minute when Patrick Kennedy blocked on the line following a corner kick. The visitors did reduce the deficit 11 minutes before the break with a smart finish from inside the box. Rearcross were well up for the tie and restored their advantage four minutes later when Sean Griffin scored with a spectacular scorpion kick from a James Butler assist. Jack Brett was next up with a fine effort which was goal bound only to be deflected wide. The Rearcross Quarries sponsored side were turning the screw at this stage as James Butler was through on goal only to be fouled inside the box, Calum Wallace stepped up to convert from the spot with aplomb with seconds remaining in the half to leave Rea with a commanding 4-1 lead. Credit to a battling Ballymackey side that blitzed Rearcross in the opening 15 minutes of the second half with a hat-trick of goals in a ten-minute spell to leave the game tied on 4 goals apiece. The Slieve Felim outfit found another gear after this and were back in front in the 59th minute when Larry Collins scored with a cracking 30-yard strike. The game had been hotly contested throughout as the visitors were reduced to 10 men following a 2nd yellow card infringement. Rearcross dug deep in the final minutes to preserve their narrow lead and were given breathing space four minutes from time when man of the match Luke Carroll headed downwards from a Paraic Bergin kick out, before unleashing a wonder strike from all of fifty yards to copper fasten a superb win for the Rearcross. Well done to all players on a fine performance and to management team of Cathal Kennedy and Cillian Kennedy.

Rearcross Youths: Brian Hammersley, Patrick Kennedy, Jack Brett, Calum Wallace, Luke Carroll, Max Carroll, Patrick Ryan, Larry Collins, Sean Griffin, James Butler, Taylor Light
Subs: Aaron Quinlan, Mel Sheridan, Liam Crump (All used)

Ballymackey FC: P Bergin, D Hartnett, D O’Brien, S Connolly, C Murray, J Doran, J Hogan,  D Sheahan, C McGuigan, K Kenneally, C Ryan,
Subs: D Carr

Referee: C O’Gorman


Calum Wallace scores from the spot to give Rearcross a 4-1 advantage


Date Time
28 October 2023 3:01 PM